With MicroDLynx II, ABB Provides High Current and Power Density for Compact IT Equipment
Anurag Khadkikar | April 26, 2021
Pushing the limits of advanced IT and networking devices requires advances in component density and functionality. This means building board-level power modules in ever-shrinking, high-density packages for power and electrical engineers. The latest MicroDLynx IITM DC-DC from ABB helps satisfy the power requirements of demanding, data-hungry applications by offering highly accurate voltage control in a compact, 232-mm2 footprint – with a power density of 167 A/in2.
The new MicroDLynx II power modules, the latest addition to ABB's established DLynx II family of DC-DC converters, provide the precision power needed for equipment such as high-speed switches and routers, AI processors, application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs), high-current field-programmable gate array (FPGA) processors, and ARM-based processors – all in a small footprint.
Performance and Control
Features of the new MicroDLynx II non-isolated, high-density DC-DC converters – or UJT060 DC-DC converters – include:
• DC input voltage range of 7.5 to 14.4 volts (V).
• Precisely regulated, programmable output voltages of 0.5 to 2 V.
• Ability to link in parallel configurations of up to four units to achieve maximum output currents of 240A.
• Advanced digital controls and monitoring via PMBus 1.3 that creates “black box” fault detection for advanced diagnostics. PMBus commands can be set to record and store a wide range of parameters.
• 88% high-efficiency power conversion from 12V input to 1V output, reducing energy consumption and improving thermal management.
• Minimal power thermal derating from airflow and ambient temperatures.
• Fully tested and IPC9592-qualified modules that can help reduce application time-to-market and design risk while also improving field reliability.
• Low transient and ripple attribute to meet load input voltage requirements.
New Digital Power Insights ProGUI III
ABB has released a new version of its validated Digital Power Insight software tool, in addition to the MicroDLynx II DC-DC converters. The Digital Power Insight software works with ABB's digital devices, such as AC-DC and DC-DC power supplies, digital bus converters, and point-of-load/voltage regulator modules, to allow communication between the power supplies and customer end-use equipment through a PMBus interface. Customers can conveniently find the best product for their application needs and digitally test various options as a result of this.
The updated ProGUI III software version blends previous versions of the Digital Power Insight tool (including the graphical user interface, command-line interface, and initial ProGUI versions) into a single software solution for all ABB Power Conversion digital power supplies and modules, including the latest UJT060 MicroDLynx II.
ABB Power Conversion serves customers in fast-changing, mission-critical environments where information, access, and response times are redefining their markets. They provide integrated, end-to-end utility solutions and services around the power landscape, providing the power quality, reliability, and efficiency required to maximize uptime in the most critical applications.
is a leading global technology company that energizes social and industrial transformation to create a more productive, sustainable future. ABB pushes the limits of technology by adding software to its electrification, robotics, automation, and motion resources to drive success to new heights. ABB's success is driven by over 105,000 talented employees in over 100 countries and has a legacy of innovation dating back more than 130 years.